18 November 2005

Watch me get flamed

The reason for my staring comment is because I want to have a little bit of a chat about Australian Idol. Well I will be doing all of the talking to start off with, so it is not so much a chat as a... a... a lecture! Now as I was saying - Australian Idol (or if you are in other parts of the globe, UK idol, American Idol, and so on). Firstly the word its self - idol.

I don't actually watch idol so I really can't talk to much about it, I just think the name has not been selected well, but the outcomes do seem to fit with the way I see the show.

Dictionary says: IDOL
  • An image used as an object of worship.
  • A false god.
  • One that is adored, often blindly or excessively.
  • Something visible but without substance.
Its all there! So in my limited exposure to the show here are my observations;

Is it just me or has the runner up each year in Australia had a more successful career? If so does that mean that the country has voted for their idol based on the fourth meaning? ...without substance.

Shannon Noll (did I spell his name right?), from what I have heard of the radio fits with the third meaning in my mind ...blindly or excessively


And again on Shannon Noll, the video clip for the song he did about a car (or something like that), he is standing on the back of ute with arms outstretched while the people of the country town that he happens to be in flock around him ...false god

And finally, a friend of mine (where I'm sure the afore mentioned flaming will come from) religiously watches the show and has her entire TV watching program drawn up and laminated each year by the time the first episode goes to air (not that there is anything wrong with that) ...object of worship

:) G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it that you're talking about me. Laminated - bwah! In actual fact the only Idol contestant who it can be said that I 'idolise' is Ms Chanel Cole who came fifth in Season Two, but in regards to your call about the runner-up doing better than the winner, its a yes and no answer. Season One, both Guy Sebastian and Shannon Noll have done well, however Guy has spent the last year concentrating more on his religion and doing charity work than flogging his record. Shannon (much as I loathe him) has been relentlessly touring RSLs and smaller stadiums and building a MASSIVE fan base so I think we're stuck with him for a while. Last years winner Casey Donavon has been shackled with appallingly bad songs, hardly any promotion to speak of and has been all but ignored by her record company who instead have chosen to push the 'safer' runner up Anthony Callea. This season we have Kate and Emily. If Emily wins tonight then Kate will be extremely lucky if she gets a runner up record deal, but if Kate wins, runner up Emily will DEFINITELY get signed as well. Fair? No. Likely? Yes. Emily, like Anthony before her is much more marketable.

Anonymous said...

Of course i was referring to you with the laminating TV guide! And might i say i was expecting more of a flaming that you actually gave me!!!